The Ford Expedition Gets an Off-Road Edition
Published June 22, 2017 by Sean Jackson
There’s no doubt the Ford Expedition is commanding. One look at its bold profile illustrates this. Then, there are the SUV’s amazing performance capabilities, where the road warrior tows 9,200 pounds, placing it on par with what you would expect from a pickup truck.
Simply, the Ford Expedition is the perfect combination of what happens when you combine the versatility of an SUV with the workhorse power of a pickup truck. And the Expedition is about to become even better. Ford announced this year’s edition of the Expedition features an off-road model.
Meet the Ford Expedition FX4
If the FX-4 sounds familiar you are in luck, as it’s already available on the Ford F-150. Similar to the truck, the Expedition FX4 comes in an aluminum body. This creates a durable, yet lighter weight vehicle, resulting in a more agile ride.
The Expedition FX4 isn’t a new model for the manufacturer. In fact, it has been gracing the deserts of the Middle East. Because of its off-road prowess, it should attract prospective buyers looking for an SUV with off-road capabilities and the power output of a truck.
What makes the Ford Expedition FX4 even more appealing is it adds power to a vehicle packed with it. The towing capacity for this model ramps up to 9,300 pounds, which is a 100-pound increase over its steel predecessors.
This power increase further extends to the SUV’s horsepower performance. The standard engine offer for this model is 3.5L twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 engine, which generates 10 more horsepower than the other Expedition trims, according to the Detroit Free Press. Additionally, the SUV comes with the 10-speed automatic transmission--an offering first introduced on the 2017 Ford F-150.
When you select the FX4 package, you receive the following features:
- FX4 badges
- Chrome running boards
- Sand shields, which blocks the sand from clogging the radiator
- Seven skid plates
- Off-road shocks designed to keep your grounded
- All-terrain tires
- Electronic limited-slip differential that shifts power between the left and right rear wheels for enhanced traction
- 18-inch metallic painted cast aluminum wheels
- Rubber floor liners
Ford announced the FX4 trim of the Expedition will be available later this year when the 2018 models arrive at dealerships. So far, there are no details surrounding the pricing or fuel economy estimates.
In the meantime, you can see what the current Ford Expedition offers you.
5 Reasons Why the Ford Expedition is Awesome
- Cargo space: The Ford Expedition’s interior is perfect for your adventures. Whether it’s camping with the boys or taking the family on a trip to DisneyWorld, it possesses the interior space for you, with seating for up to eight passengers. Best of all, there’s plenty of room to store your stuff. The Expedition’s regular model has a maximum cargo capacity of 108.3 cubic feet. Meanwhile, if you need more space you can upgrade to the Expedition EL, as it has a maximum cargo space of 130.8 cubic feet of cargo space, giving you ample cargo room while keeping your passengers comfortable.
- Power: Ford designed the Expedition to handle your toughest demands with ease. The powerhouse can tow 9,200 pounds, and if that isn’t impressive enough consider this: the EcoBoost engine generates a best-in-class torque of 420 lb-ft. That’s crazy acceleration prowess to go with amazing towing capabilities.
- Safety: The Expedition earns an overall five-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In fact, it earned five stars in three of the four categories tested by the NHTSA, while it earned a four-star rating in the rollover. These ratings demonstrate the confidence-inspiring safety performance you can expect to receive from the Expedition.
- Handling: The Ford Expedition features the Continuously Controlled Damping System. How the CCD system works is it uses electronic sensors to measure 46 suspension, steering, braking, and body motions, processing these readings hundreds of times per minute. The system also offers three modes--comfort, sport, and normal, so you can tailor your driving experience more to your liking. And with the system reading road conditions constantly, you can have confidence it will deliver superior traction when the weather turns bad.
- It’s Smart: The Expedition comes with Ford’s SYNC 3 system. With responsive voice-activated commands, you can access audio, phone, and navigational functions with ease while keeping your attention on the road. In addition, the easy to use interface allows you to sync your phone with ease.
The Ford Expedition is already an impressive vehicle. However, Ford decided to up to the ante. The new FX4 trim offers the perfect mix of aggressive styling and enhanced power to make it an appealing choice if you want an off-road capable SUV with the power of a pickup truck.
Useful SUV Links
Recommended SUV News & Reviews
∗ Monthly payments are only an example shown for convenience. Estimated monthly payments based on 3.9% APR, 60 month financing, and 20% down payment. Taxes and other fees are not included in price or payment. Subject to approved buyer credit. Actual purchase terms may vary. Payment calculations may not reflect actual financing terms. Down payments subject to availability, approved buyer credit and lender requirements.