Most Durable SUVsBelow is a look at the most durable SUVs available today. The percentage next to vehicle denotes how many vehicles in its history (1981-2017) have achieved the 200,000-mile mark, which can be a good indicator of which vehicles are easier to maintain to reach this benchmark.
- GMC Yukon=3.0 percent
- Chevrolet Tahoe=3.5 percent
- GMC Yukon XL=4.2 percent
- Toyota 4Runner=4.7 percent
- Chevrolet Suburban=4.8 percent
- Toyota Sequoia= 5.6 percent
- Ford Expedition=5.7 percent
- Half of this list consisted of SUVs. In fact, the seven most durable vehicles available are SUVs. This demonstrates that while some SUVs like the Chevrolet Suburban can be initially expensive, their value and longevity over time are well worth the cost.
- 11 of the 14 models that made this list are either trucks like the Ford F-150 or SUVs. The cars that made the list are the Toyota Avalon and Honda Accord.
How to Extend the Life of an SUVFinding a vehicle with the propensity of lasting longer is a good first step, but it still doesn’t translate to extended longevity. Along with finding a model that last longer, here are some things you must do:
Be Proactive with MaintenanceThe better care you take of your SUV, the longer it will last. This means following the vehicle owner’s manual by taking the vehicle in for the scheduled services. By doing this, you’ll extend the life of the model because you are doing the small steps now to prolong the life of your SUV’s major components. Proactive care is only one aspect to consider, though. You should also be attentive to recall information and follow the manufacturer’s direction when this applies. This ensures you remain safe on the road and in some occasions can prevent further damage from happening to your SUV.
Drive with CareIf you are treating your vehicle like a prop from a Mad Max movie chances are it won’t be durable for the long haul. Instead, refrain from speeding, over braking, and accelerating hard from a stopped position, as this lessens the stress placed on your vehicle.
Our TakeWhile there are not one-size fits all solutions when trying to extend the life of an SUV, there are steps you can take to increase your chances of finding a durable vehicle for the long-term. A good first step is to choose a model that has a higher percentage of going the distance like the Ford Expedition. Along with this, taking proper care of the SUV and not running it into the ground due to poor driving behaviors are a must, if you want your vehicle to reach and exceed the 200,000-mile mark.
Useful SUV Links
Recommended SUV News & Reviews
2 Minute Review Videos